Sunday, April 26, 2015

We Love Our Missionaries!

District meeting on Fridays is highlight of our week, because it is just inspiring to watch these young missionaries at work. They are always thanking us for our help and support, and we don't do hardly anything but sit back and marvel at the way they conduct themselves and fulfill their stewardships. Elder Loi-on is an inspired and inspiring district leader -- and I'll never say this to him, but he is so cute -- he looks like Matty! When he gets transferred, before he leaves the area, I'll take a picture of him to share with you!

Elder Loi-on had asked Bruce to give a spiritual thought, so Bruce shared this, from General Conference way back in 1983, from James M. Dunn:

"When I left on my first mission as a young man, I had practically no understanding of missionary work. I had a feeble testimony of the gospel, but I had faith that what I was doing was right.

"Upon arrival in Montevideo, Uruguay, I was assigned to Elder Wayne G. Scheiss, my first senior companion. I immediately found that he cared for me. In our brief three months together, he taught me all I was smart enough to learn of the missionary discussions. He taught me the rudiments of the Spanish language. And he taught me to put my feet on the proper path toward missionary service and to turn my heart toward godly things.

" Elder Scheiss let me baptize our first convert. Mario had already been taught most of the missionary discussions by the time I arrived, but my companion thought it best that I perform the ordinance. I studied hard to memorize the baptismal prayer in Spanish. I worked on my accent in order to be understood on that sacred occasion.

"I shall never forget finally finding myself standing in the baptismal font at the Deseret Branch with Mario, raising my arm to the square, and saying, 'Habiendo sido comisionado por Jesucristo...' 'Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you...'

"I had heard of people being commissioned to paint pictures. I had heard of people being commissioned to serve as military officers. But when it occurred to me that I had been commissioned by the Savior to baptize in his sacred name for the remission of sins, I felt a rush of testimony and pride and gratitude that went through my entire soul. I knew that I was in the service of the most important Master of all. I knew I was authorized to perform that ordinance, and I knew that Mario left that font pure and clean and acceptable to our Heavenly Father. I am grateful to my companion for that baptism experience. And I am grateful for my commission from the Lord."

Bruce then shared his own thoughts about his commission as a military officer, and how much more powerful and meaningful is a commission from the Lord to act in his name and to serve Him and others in this way.

After the business of the meeting, reviewing progress and setting goals, Elder Loi-on did some training from Preach My Gospel and again, it was just exceptional. We can really see the Lord working on and through these missionaries and feel very blessed to be here with them. There is quite a mix of personalities and strengths, and they seem to be so supportive of each other. We're told that our zone, Musashino North, leads the mission and that our district in most areas leads the zone. Not that its a contest, of course, but just an indication of what these hard-working and faithful missionaries are doing. What a choice experience for us and them! I hope the other districts in the mission are as good and work together as well.


2 comments:

Phyl said...

Alan read your newer blog entries to Mom tonight and had the pictures on the big TV so she could see them.

Laura said...

I love the quote Bruce shared--so powerful I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face.